Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Homemade Costumes Are The Bestest



This is baby me dressed as Phyllis Diller age 2. Phillis Diller, really? That's how awesome my mom was.

"What should I be, what should I be??" ahh, the excitement and stress of coming up with a Halloween costume. When I was growing up, there was nothing better than getting ready for Halloween. My mom hand-made each of our costumes, so the process was looong and vivid (there's four of us)!



My brother Shad as a Flamenco Dancer, my sister Tifi (top right) as a Dance Hall Girl and me as a Southern Belle (and I still have that same look on my face)

The countless visits to the craft stores like newberries and moss katels(?) searching for sequins, ribbons, feathers, beads and fabrics galore!! The house filled to the brim with all those notions and the big ol' sewing machine in the corner ready to chug away. I can even remember the smell of all those sequins and feathers heated in the warm October weather that burned thru the windows in the kitchen.



Me as Mae West (but I look like Linda Evans)

All the cartoon Halloween shows would be on t.v., like Garfield, Mickey Mouse and Charlie Brown...so so so good. Endless hours of my sister and I sitting in the kitchen drawing haunted houses, ghosts and goblins over and over. At night, we'd turn out the lights and play haunted house, it just seemed like Halloween Time lasted forever and ever!



So guess what I'm gonna be?!?





That's right, Stevie Nicks!! It'll be easy as pie thanks to all the costume jewelry, scarves and shawls my mom hoarded over the years!



What's everyone dressing up as out there??!! I love it, so fun.

4 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

that is so cute! yeah, your mom is awesome!

Kelley said...

Oh, I hope you follow up this post with a picture of your costume! LOL, sounds like this will be a good one.

WickedThrifty said...

AWESOME! i love stevie! i'm going to be cyndi lauper. you were THE most adorable child i've ever seen. shut up!

Kim Lynn said...

I'm also dressing up as stevie nicks ^_^
Got the idea from Gypsy 83, my favorite movie ever! ♥ Happy Halloween everyone!