Monday, September 17, 2012

Chiari Walk Across America

As I mentioned a few posts ago (see post HERE) I have a friend who just recently went through brain surgery. She was diagnosed with a brain malformation called CHIARI- her case was so severe that her doctors urged her to have surgery immediately. This surgery wouldn't "fix" the malformation, it would just hopefully lessen her painful symptoms and put her in less danger of potential paralysis or death. It spun her in a frenzy to get as much information to make a sound decision on the surgery. In her frenzy for information about Chiari, sadly she found that there isn't much out there. This girl isn't the type to just get through something herself and never look back - she's one to blow the doors off this thing and do all she can to get information out there to people who may need it - even if it means shouting at the roof tops. She's an amazing person.
Along with my friend, I will be participating in Conquer Chiari Walk Across America this Saturday (Sept. 22). If you'd like to donate to the Conquer Chiari Walk Across America, CLICK HERE where you'll find info and can click to donate through my personal page. If you've been diagnosed with Chiari or know someone who has been, it would be wonderful to hear from you. One of the hardest issues for my dear friend is feeling like she was alone - not knowing anyone who even knew what Chiari Malformation was or what she was dealing with. It would be nice to hear your voice if you're reading this.

1 comment:

Laura Hickman said...

Hi Brandi

I hope your friend is doing well, I'm an artist/illustrator from the UK - I have Chiari too. If she needs anyone to talk to send her my way. I'm loking for Chiarians to take part in my new art project too, please pass this on if you think she'd be interested http://chiariart.blogspot.co.uk

It looks like you've been a great support to her.

Laura xx